Monday, November 9, 2009

My success with NG

To me there is no holiday, no vacation, no migration, no invasion. It all comes under the heading of hawk watching. I will never live in an area that does not contain NG. And that is my feeling toward this remarkable species. Let me clarify- I am referring only to the action of a NG in flight. I care to call NG - silver Ravens. Yet, a Goshawk can never match the antics and actions of a Raven in flight. My success with NG comes about in this manner: I can identify raptors naked eye at distances up to about 1 mile. While driving down a winding mountain road at 15 miles per hour, I can identify the raptors circling over head. While driving the freeway at 65 miles per hour, I can identify raptors in flight. So, now I have a huge advantage over the common birder, even the advanced birder. One more thought- I do not need to carry a field guide. I don't need a field trip leader to tell me where to meet and when, and what to bring along. I don't need to go to remote areas (I prefer to do my hawking in cities and suburbs). I do not need binoculars (but in most cases, I carry binos). Call my bluff - be with me in the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment