Thursday, November 12, 2009

Gyr Falcon story

While birding the Montour Preserve in Montour County, Pennsylvania, I observed a raptor travelling through, heading southward. I could not with confidence identify this Buteo-falcon-like bird. However , some factors pointed toward Gyr Falcon. While at an Audubon meeting in Williamsport, Pa., I relayed my sighting to a Master Falconer. The falconer stated: I was driving toward Bloomsburg, Pa., when I spotted this large raptor perched. So, I pulled over and glassed the bird. It was a Gyr Falcon. So, when I returned from my trip, I called a falconer in Bloomsburg. This falconer at one time was my apprentice. The falconer replied, " Oh yea! We know about this bird. For the last 2 years, we have been observing this hawk." Since, the Montour Preserve is a few miles north of Bloomsburg, it is possible the raptor I observed was a Gry Falcon. I do find it perplexing that a falconer would not inform his past- instructor, who lived only 40 minutes away, of this exciting find.

No comments:

Post a Comment