Thursday, January 21, 2010

Another NG sighting - Kemah

19 January- 1 NG soaring at 300 feet elevation. Observation time 5-6 minutes. This bird was probably female. It was not long winged, yet not short winged. I observed, for 2 seconds, the ventral area - this area was of a silvery- gray hue, however, the chest and belly had a red cast or patina, over the gray chest and belly. This is a rare condition exhibited by mature male and female NG. The hawk was over the Birding Sanctuary Community - Clear Lake Shores. This hawk was not the same NG that I observed yesterday. That NG was female (very long winged). Also, yesterday's NG had a pearly-gray chest and belly. Also, yesterday' s NG did not have this: a white feather (or 2) on each upper wing. These white feathers were probably primary or secondary feathers.
Do you understand why I am not satisfied with just identifying the species, and not satisfied with just ageing and/or sexing the hawk? This is why I chase Goshawks (across flat areas of land, by truck, bike, and on foot: to gather more information. And this is the big advantage I have over any official hawk watch site. I am not trapping myself, I am not allowing myself to be pinned to stationary position.

No comments:

Post a Comment