Sunday, December 20, 2009

abrupt weather changes

Here are 3 examples of how to find and observe Northern goshawks, from where they are nesting, or roosting on their southern wintering quarters, or where they have been "put down" by the storm, be it rain, wind, snow, or electrical.
The first 2 examples are of Goshawks caught in (or escaping from) poor weather conditions. The second type of example is when the weather changes (and rapidly) from bad to good.
So, what you are trying to observe is a Goshawks fleeing from bad weather, or, when the storm clears the area, to observe the Goshawk being "released" from the storm. Then it is up to you to determine if the area is a roosting or nesting area. If after many hours and days of monitoring the area, you might determine that this area is where the raptor happened to put down, in order to ride out the storm.
In Williamsport, Pa., on the deck of my apartment, half way up the side of a steep hill, and over looking the Bald Eagle Mountains and the Susquehanna River: An electrical storm was building and heading my way. 2 large raptors were heading my way, constantly flapping, flying abreast with the wing tips of hawk nearly touching the other hawk's wing tips. The hawks showed no color, just darkness. The hawks were trying to beat the storm home. They flew off to the side of my building. The raptors were 2 female Northern Goshawks. The hillside next to the hillside on which I lived, contained nesting Goshawks.
In winter, I was walking the dike on the Susquehanna River in the suburbs of Williansport, Pa. It was damp and very cold. It had just started to snow. A mature male Goshawk was rapidly pumping, and there was no gliding for this hawk. The hawk was heading out of the river valley, in order to get into the foot hills, near where I lived. So, in both cases the Goshawks were trying to beat the storm home.
In San Diego- Mission Bay, 2000-01. I had been observing NG from De Anza RV Park. Mainly, the Goshawks were observed over the Clairmont Hills. We had had many hours of windy, rainy weather. The radio weather report told of when the storm was to break. 15 minutes before the storm was to break, I started walking to a satisfactory location. It was on the side walk of a golf course at the base of the Clairmont Hills. There was much traffic, as 5 roads converged at a traffic light. It was not a safe place to spend any amount of time. Within 15 minutes or less, a Northern goshawk presented by lifting off, out of the trees.
As an aside- I spent 4 months observing Goshawks, both male and female, in many areas of San Diego, including the Wild Animal Park, the town of La Mesa, Mission Bay, the Zoo, Point Loma, and Tijuana Slough. And possibly 1 sighting near the Mormon Church on I-5. I returned to San Diego 7 years later, for 5 days to visit with relatives. I went to my favorite spot at Mission Bay, and within minutes, I observed a male goshawk stooping on pigeons, over the Clairmont Hills. Yes, it was a very lucky sighting. 2 years later, I returned to San Diego for a week to visit with relatives, and observed the Goshawk in a new location- Carlsbad, at Lego Land. Also at the start of the Dolphin exhibit at Sea World (a female) and at the Museum of Natural History ( a female Gos in flight and perched high on a snag -then glassed as mature).
Oh! I can hear some of my detractors now! " I have lived in S. D. for 40 years, and have birded all areas nearly every weekend and...." Blah blah blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment